Friday, April 29, 2011


This week has been rough. We miss Dad. I've gotten multiple calls at work from the daycare. Although they were just "courtesy" calls, my heart stops every time I pick up the phone and I hear, "Mrs. Jones? I'm calling about Brendan...." We've been to the doctor. Twice. Long story short - we're glad it's the weekend. And did I mention I've been working for free? The payroll people messed up my direct deposit, and even though it was not my fault they can't just fix it. I have to wait until the check they mailed to some random address on base gets returned. Then, and only then, will they process another direct deposit.

Tuesday morning I dropped him off like normal. Somehow between 7:15 and 10:00 his eyes got red and started oozing. That was my first courtesy call. And since I'm one of "those" moms, I immediately hung up the phone and left to go check on him. I then made him a doctor's appointment for the next day since I just knew it was pink eye. Thank goodness, I was wrong. He's had a lingering cold and the yucky eyes are just resulting from that. The doctor cleaned his ears and made sure he had no ear infections. Lucky for us, the tubes in those little ears are doing their job.

Last night I realized that what I thought was leftover snack dried on his ear was actually fluid coming from inside his ear. And since I'm one of "those" moms, I called the naval hospital to speak to a doctor. Although it did not warrant a trip to the ER, she did tell me to make a follow-up appointment for today. And at 6:30 this morning I was dialing the appointment line.

So now I have to pin the poor child down so that I can get a "1/4 inch ribbon" of ointment into each eye three times a day for the next week, AND I have to get 5 drops into his ear, preferably while he's sleeping (yeah, right) three times a day for the next week.

We celebrated finally getting paid today (after 5 weeks of work!!) with spaghetti and ice cream at Blue Seal. I didn't have the camera with me but I have these leftover Chef Boyardee spaghetti pictures from last week.

What's wrong with this picture?

That sure wasn't an "easy open" top.

Anyway, tonight's spaghetti sure beat Chef Boyardee. We got spinach and bacon spaghetti in tomato sauce because Brendan does not like cream sauces. He even ate some spinach! We had an entire family stop by to tell him he is "kawaii" and to pinch his cheeks and touch his hair. He started to show his rear end until I gave him a lick of strawberry cheesecake ice cream. After that he was on his best behavior. He "Mmm'd" his way through our entire cone.

Monday marked Brendan's 15 month birthday. He now has eleven teeth, and I think I can almost see the twelfth. He's going to the dentist next week. I sure hope he doesn't take after me in that department. He says Mama A LOT, and he can now say Daddy instead of Dada. And I'm pretty sure he does it on purpose. He's still stubborn as a mule. We've been trying for months to teach him where his nose is. He'll show me Scout's nose but not his. If you say "beep beep" he'll press the horn on his car. He has figured out that he can push his toys around and then climb onto them to get to places he couldn't reach before. Today all the kids were on the playground when I had to pick him up for his appointment. I squatted down to give him a hug and another boy came over to us. He tried to give me a little hug and Brendan didn't like it. He pushed him out of the way.

It's getting late and I'd like to go read some of my book. I'll leave you with this random mish mash of photos.


  1. oh, I'm sorry to hear you've been having a rough week. What a hassle about your paycheck and it's always so hard to see our little one's sick. I sure hope he gets to feeling better soon! Take good care of the two of you :)

  2. I hope you frame that first! It's too cute! Love his little boat shoes :) And a 1/4 ribbon of ointment?? Good luck with that! Kisses for Brendan!