Pages

Monday, January 24, 2011

Okinawa Zoo

We took advantage of a gorgeous Sunday and went to the Okinawa Zoo. There are pros and cons. I felt a little sad as I walked through because the enclosures are so small. It's sad to me to see animals in captivity, but I'm used to big, sprawling zoos and this was definitely different. However, we could get up close to the animals unlike anything we've seen back home. And we saw lots more animal caretakers than we usually do.

Brendan rode his first horse.



And we saw some family.


I took this one on manual. :)


Brendan was really straining to see the hippos. And see that hip high fence? That's all that separated us from them. No kidding.


Back home we call this a peacock.



We fed the elephant, a first for all three of us. Tom said, "Hold him tight. That thing could snatch him up."




Anyone know how to get rid of those circles? Tips welcome.

We checked out the petting zoo.



We had to put this guy down because Brendan tried to squeeze him. We're working on being gentle.



He's a mean motor scooter.









2 comments:

  1. Is that monkey penis?
    I feel sad reading about the small enclosures. Boo. Cool pictures. The sun causes those circles (duh). I don't know how to get rid of them and, to tell you the truth, I kinda like them. Looks like you guys had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Pics! I had the same thought as Carrie regarding the Mandril Baboon. OMG!!! The lion sure did look like he was enjoying the sun. Sure wish he was on a lush green field somewhere.

    Looks like y'all had a great time girl.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers